The monsoons have arrived, and the Cedar Fire received rainfall on Sunday. The fire was 75% contained by this (Monday) morning. More rain is expected today and demobilization of forces is proceeding rapidly. While 554 firefighters are working on the fire this morning, only the Team itself will remain by Tuesday afternoon. The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) will assume command of the fire at 6 A.M. Tuesday.
Southwest Incident Management Team #2 (SWIMT2) extends our heartfelt appreciation to the White Mountain Apache Tribe, the Bureau of Indian Affairs, the communities around the fire, and to our cooperators for the excellent working relationships, the support and encouragement, and the effective collaboration we experienced as we worked on the Cedar Fire.
This will be the final Cedar Fire update from SWIMT2. Thank you for welcoming us into your community.
From 311 Info…
Official fire update ****6/24/2016 at 1:19 pm****
There are no new updates regarding the fire at this time.
The 311 call center is closing. For fire related questions you can call 928-531-7818.
There will be a press conference at Show Low High School at 3:00 pm today regarding the lifting of the pre-evacuation notice.
Official press release ****6/24/16 at 11:36 am****
PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICIALS LIFTING THE PRE-EVACUATION NOTICE FOR NON-TRIBAL AREAS
Law Enforcement officials from the Navajo County Sheriff’s Office, Show Low Police Department, and the Pinetop-Lakeside Police Department are lifting the Pre-evacuation notice that has been in effect throughout Show Low and Pinetop-Lakeside. This decision comes after consultation with Southwest Area Type 1 Incident Management Team (2). While the Cedar Fire is still active, the conditions that were present to cause law enforcement officials to enact the pre-evacuation have subsided. This covers the communities of Show Low, Pinetop-Lakeside and all unincorporated areas of Navajo County that are non-tribal. For the communities on the White Mountain Apache reservation, Tribal authorities will make their own decision on when notices will be lifted.
US Highway US 60 will remain closed at this time.
Official fire update *****6/24/2016 at 9:06 am*******
The fire is approximately 45,918 acres with 42% containment and 979 Personnel working it.
Significant progress was made Thursday in containing the Cedar Fire. Containment jumped to 42% as several additional miles of fire line, on both the south and north sides of the fire, were determined by fire officials to be secure. At the same time, officials are expressing concern about the possible convergence of monsoonal rains and the fire’s after-effects.
A Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER) team has been evaluating the fire’s impact on the Cedar Creek, Cedar Canyon, and Long Tom drainages. Well over 50% of the drainages suffered severe fire effects, and the BAER team has determined that the volume of water carried by all three drainages will increase substantially. The Cedar Creek drainage is of highest concern, however, because of the high percentage of burned area. The BAER team, in collaboration with the White Mountain Apache Tribe and Navajo and Gila Counties, is evaluating possible mitigating and/or emergency actions that can be taken in the very short term as well as over the next several months to ensure the safety of the residents of Cedar Creek and Carrizo.
On Thursday, despite consistent winds from the west pushing the fire against the southeastern fire break, firefighters backed by aircraft were able to hold the line.
Firefighters will change tactics today along the southeast flank. They will “go direct”, meaning they will build fire-line directly against the fire’s edge. If they are able to complete all four miles of line, they will be able to connect Road B-33 with the contained portion of line north of the Cedar Creek community.
The fire along the western line is not advancing because the fuels are scattered and scarce, the wind is pushing back into the burned area, and because fire in general backs downhill more slowly.
Pre-evacuation notices remain in effect, and officials will meet today to discuss their continuation.